LOS ANGELES – Speaker John A. Pérez honored eleven outstanding women in his district on May 12 at the Women of Action luncheon in recognition for their contribution to their communities.
"I was pleased to honor these outstanding women, who have done so much to improve the life of our community," said Speaker Pérez. "They have made contributions in fields ranging from the military to the arts, and from public safety to public health, and each of them serves as a wonderful role model for the young women of our community."
The Speaker first recognized Los Angeles Police Department Captain Anita Ortega, who was the 46th District’s 2012 Woman of the Year. She is currently the area commanding officer of Hollenbeck Community Police Station, and she is the first Afro-Puerto Rican to oversee an Area command.
Other women honored include:
- Alejandra Torres-Galancid, executive director of Women In Non Traditional Employment Roles
- Angelica Salas, executive director of Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles
- Diane Spalding of Huntington Park, volunteer at various organizations, including East Los Angeles Women’s Center, American Cancer Society and the Huntington Park Women’s Club
- D’Lisa Davies, Los Angeles City Fire Department Captain
- Evelina Fernandez, cofounder and board member of the Latino Theater Company and award-winning actor, playwright and screenwriter
- Michele Deane, executive director, CEO and cofounder of Girls Today Women Tomorrow
- Norma Araos, Donate Life ambassador and its Latino group, Embajadores de Done Vide, and is a transplant candidate
- Roseanna Garcia, founder of Latina Fashionista
- Hyepin Im, founder and president of Korean Churches for Community Development
- Arlene Savage, who recently passed away, volunteered at various Huntington Park organizations, including 45 years serving on boards of nonprofits committed to the betterment of children and families. She was a member of organizations such as Soroptimists, Huntington Park Rotary and Human Service Association. Arlene also dressed up as Mrs. Santa Claus for the children of her community for the past 15 years.
CONTACT: John Vigna (916) 319-2408